Whether it has to do with lack of proper training or lack of confidence, one of the main causes can be attributed to a lack of professionalism.
Understanding the Causes of Communication Problems
One of the things that is constantly up for debate is whether the poor writing and communication is a cause or an effect.
- Is it attributed to a cause – did something cause an individual to have poor writing and communication in the workplace?
- Was the poor writing and communication a result of something that occurred at work or at home?
These are questions that should be asked and answered in order to correct the communication problems.
Many things can cause poor communication in the workplace. From personal conflict to low morale to lack of motivation, poor communication will often ensue. If you examine the personalities of the people and the workplace relationships between them, it is often easy to see where the problem may lay. For example:
- If there are individuals who have a superiority complex this may attribute to poor communication.
- If there is an ineffective exchange of information then there will be a breakdown in communication.
Usually, poor communication (whether writing or just general oral communication) is something that starts on the executive level. If there is a break in communication on the executive level, then there will inevitably be a break in communication on the administrative level as well.
When it comes to the innate causes of poor communication, individuals need to analyze the whole situation – or the overall picture.
Poor communication and writing in the workplace such as poor email or letterwriting do not cause themselves however if left unattended the effects may detrimental. Below are a few causes of overall poor communication in the workplace.
Leading Causes of Poor Writing and Communication in the Workplace
- Bad management – If you have bad managers then often you may suffer from poor communication and writing skills. Bad managers do not allow their employees to communicate effectively in the workplace. A bad manager would much rather micromanage their employees and over exert control because they do not have the self control necessary to manage effectively. As a result they thwart their poor communication on their employees.
- Lack of education – Knowledge is power, and without the proper education you will not be able to move forward in your career. In order to hone in on good communication and good writing it would help to take extra courses on how to have better communication in the workplace. Training is important.
- Lack of motivation – If you are not motivated to expand your writing skills and communication skills in the workplace.
- The domino effect and Murphy’s Law – If your manager and executive level staff have poor communication, then chances are by association you too will suffer from poor communication.
While the causes of poor communication can be daunting, there are plenty of remedies that can help alleviate the problem.
Training is essential and must be done continuously in order for poor communication to cease. Whether in the guise of workshops or seminars, it is important to have a stronghold on the poor communication problem before it causes catastrophic effects in the workplace.
Continuous positive reinforcement between management and employees is essential and could be an instant remedy of the poor communication problem.